top of page

Stanford Parents' Club History

Stanford Mothers Operated Student Rest Homes for over 30 year starting in the 1920's

Distinguished Speaker Series

The Mothers' Club has enriched its members' education with insightful lectures.

Mrs. Herbert Hoover 

Since its inception, the Club has consistently invited distinguished speakers to enhance understanding of university life as well as current issues and advancements. Here are some highlights from the array of notable guests who have shared their insights with the club members:

 

1926: Mrs. Herbert Hoover discussed the Girl Scouts programs.

Dr. David Starr Jordan

1927: Dr. David Starr Jordan, Stanford’s first president serving from 1891-1913 spoke about the founding of the university to a crowd of 125 at the January meeting.

1929: Pop Warner spoke first at their afternoon meeting so he could get to football practice.

1931 and 1937: December highlights included Professor of English, Miss Edith Mirrilees, reading Christmas poems, and Professor of German, Dr. B.Q. Morgan, along with Mrs. Morgan, discussing German Christmas customs. This was accompanied by a group of children, dressed in traditional German costumes, singing carols.

Dean Mary Yost

1942: Chancellor Ray Lyman Wilbur discussed the preparation of Stanford students for war.


1943: The Dean of Women, Mary Yost, talked about new programs for women to learn home economics, secure positions in institutional feeding, study physiotherapy, and work in nursery schools and social services.

Dr. Herant Katchadourian

1945: Student Arthur Jaffe shared his experiences as a prisoner of war. 1958: Philip H. Rhinelander, Dean of the School of Humanities and Sciences, discussed “Humanities in the Scientific Age.”

1972: Jane Goodall, a Visiting Professor at Stanford, and Dr. David A. Hamburg, Professor and Chairman of Psychiatry, spoke about “Chimpanzee Research in Africa and at Stanford.”


1973: Dr. Herant Katchadourian, Associate Professor of Psychiatry and University Fellow, spoke on “Sex Education at Stanford.”

Photos courtesy of Stanford Historical Photograph Collection

bottom of page