Stanford Parents' Club History
Stanford Mothers Operated Student Rest Homes for over 30 year starting in the 1920's
Welfare of Students
Stanford Mothers operated Student Rest Homes for over 30 years starting in the 1920's.
From 1928 - 1962, the Mothers' Club operated two rest homes where male and female students could receive care when overly tired or convalescing from an illness or injury.
Widows of faculty members took care of 3 -10 students at a time in their homes, providing nourishing meals, TLC and a quiet place to sleep.
The Mothers' Club raised up to $5000 per year during the 50's to keep the Rest Homes running.
In 1962, the University opened Alpine House as an infirmary for men and women. The Mothers' Club closed their Rest Homes and helped to furnish the rooms with radios, "hairdryers for the ladies" and a TV set for the lounge.